Thursday, October 30, 2008

Season 1, Episode 7 : Feeling Indian for one night!


" Heritage of the lights" - theme of the Deepavali Night 2008

There's a Deepavali Night in my uni, and why not i join in the fun? Indeed, it was fun, and having to attend the occasion, i would say, brings yet another wonder to life- the richness of the Indian culture, more or less, of which i get to know better. Nothing comes free in life, the entrance ticket to the night is priced at a reasonably RM 5.00, and to tell you the truth, it was worth every cent!

The dinner was scheduled to start at 7.30pm, but because it is of known fact for being fashionably late starters, the dinner started at nearly 8.45pm. As i walked into the dinner area, i was impressed and fascinated with the decorations along the way. I can tell that it was the result of timeless effort put into it. The lit lamps at every step of the stairs welcoming the arrival of guests, the coloured cloth wrapped along the railings, the banana tree leaning against the pillars, the colourful kolam, and my beautifully dressed friends in traditional Indian outfit are what i was talking about.

My friends and i with the colourful kolam.

Upon entrance, i was blessed with holy water and a chance to put on a pottu, by my friend, Kayathiri. Vanakkam...

Shian Ee and i with the red pottu on. Ok?

The decor on my dinner table. Lovely, is it?

My uni's Rector officiated the Night with the lighting of the lamps.

Solo traditional Indian dance opened the night to many more performances.

My friends performing on stage. Big round of applause!


Interesting. And they are pretty professional!

Together with the singer, Aru and two dancers, Thivya and Kayathiri.

There were singing performances, Raja and Rani (King and Queen), and lucky draws too. Unfortunately, i am never lucky at these draws and walked away with nothing after it. Dinner was good- putu mayam, dahl, some minced meat with tomato, and some Indian desserts. Soon, after all is said and done, it was time for me to head back to my room.

I wanted to take a snapshot at the decor (background) before leaving, but my friends prepared themselves to be taken in the shot. So...

I decided to go closer, and with them, i joined in the shot! (I'm holding a laduu)

It was wonderful, with all the Indian dances, songs, costumes, decor, and food! True, i've learned more about the spirit of Deepavali, and in fact, this is the first time i've attended a Deepavali celebration on a grander scale. As for this year, i couldn't visit my friends' house as i need to be back at uni. However, Deepavali is still great.

wc08 is feeling Indian, just for one night! And he would like to wish all the Hindus', if not too late, a Happy Deepavali.

While shopping at Ampang Point, i was amazed at this magnificent and splendid piece of artwork, the kolam.

No comments: