Saturday, September 6, 2008

A joyous 'Pat-sap' birthday celebration!

" There surely is a lot to talk about being 80 years old. Happy Birthday, Yaya! "


Months of planning, weeks of preparation, days of shopping, hours of happiness, minutes of smiling, and seconds of excitement. The time has come, an event in my family that is far more greater than the Olympic Games. Thursday, the 4th September 2008 is definitely one of the greatest days in my grandfather's , or Yaya, entire life. He could proudly announce to the world that he is 80 years old now. And he is not an ordinary being, he has seasoned and has experienced almost everything in life- simply, he has a story to tell.


A great story-teller, a loving grandfather. I recalled, he used to tell us (my family) stories of the past, dated to even before my country's independence. He also told us stories about our old home, his job and even my grandmother, whom we call Mama. Still hale and hearty, after my SPM, i often follow Yaya down town. He will take me out for breakfast (usually porridge, the expensive but tasty one). Then, we'll walk to the banks or occasionally to the 'market' building. Often, as we walk to our destination, he tells me stories. He points to the run-down but historic buildings to show me exactly where it happened, or where he worked before. He also tells me where my aunt used to work and where my Mama goes to fetch my uncle and my father during their schooling life. Interesting as it may seem, there are so much that sometimes i couldn't remember them myself either- great memory! Now, he's 80 years old.


A grandfather, a father, a brother, an uncle, and even a granduncle he may be known as. But surely, a great person to all! I prayed hard for being able to attend his big day, as you may know, i'm in uni and it's not easy for me to get back during the weekdays due to packed schedule. Fortunately, my prayers were answered and i managed to get back home to join in this joyous celebration. Despite tests on Wednesday and Friday, my presence there means more to him, and i'm glad i made it. My dad fetched me from uni, thank you!


I was home at about 4.30pm and there was no time to waste. We had to rush and book the toilets to prepare ourselves. Dressed up not long after that, it was time for us to hit the road, to Bukit Jalil Club. As usual, the MMR2 will have traffic and it stalled us a while. In the light drizzle, we arrived the ballroom at nearly 7.00pm. Hurry...

There's still time for preparation.


Guests begin to fill the seats and mingle around. The party is not exactly started, but it already has.

Half past eight, everyone arrived and the party kicked off. Cousin WaiKitt was the emcee of the night and the party started off with a photograph presentation made by cousin LengSi. The presentation was on photographs of my Yaya when he was a child, when he got married, when he went for holiday, and with his grandchildren (me!). After the presentation down memory lane, dinner is served. I'm not going to talk about the food, it'll make your mouth, and mine too, water. But on the whole, the scrumptious dishes were delicious.


Halfway through dinner, we were pulled to a halt for yet another presentation. This time, it was a video of all of us (his family). One by one, our short takes were projected onto the screen and all eyes were on them. The video was great, hopefully i can get them to be posted here. Much credits should be given to cousin LengSi because she pulled off yet another great presentation to fill in the young night. Dinner is resumed.


Happy Birthday to you! Cake cutting ceremony.

A dear moment with his brothers and sisters on stage. A family of 10 should share 10 times the happiness. Youngest brother giving his speech.

To me, this is one of the best part in the celebration. All his younger brothers (my Yaya is the eldest) and sisters, and Mama are on the stage with him and the cake. All smiles!

Handing over of the giant card ceremony.

All guests were informed to sign on the giant card upon entrance to the ballroom. Purpose : To signature your presence to this joyous celebration as remembrance.

After all is said and done, time for some 'yum seng'!

My Yaya is feeling young again. Ahem....

Ladies...

... and gentlemen.

Cousin WaiMing and me...

Cousin SueYin and me...

Impromptu, we sang to my Yaya and indirectly end the night, though it's still young.

I bet you, my Yaya was smiling throughout the night. It was his night and no one can steal his limelight. It would be an understatement and i'm not giving justice to everyone then. Each and every one of us present left with a radiant smile on our faces and clearly indicate that we enjoyed the night just as how my Yaya has enjoyed it.


wc08 isn't sad that it's over, but ecstatic that it has happened. He again would like to wish, if not too late, a very joyous birthday wish to Yaya : Happy 80th Birthday!

No comments: