Sunday, July 6, 2008

Yeah, I can ... Drive!

" Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead " - Mac McClearly

Blame it on the Euro fever i've recently caught and cured, i had to postpone this post unwillingly a few weeks later as to not spoil and interfere with the write-up of the Euro 2008. Therefore, this post shall write about the day i took my JPJ test and how i've been doing on the road!

In my driving school, the JPJ test is done on a Friday. And so it was, i arose from bed early in the morning and prepared myself for the test- after hours of practice, it was time to face the moment of truth. Upon reaching my driving school, i mentally rehearsed the steps my instructor informed me for the 'on the road' part to get the 'free' points. As i reached the school, my instructor gave me some final instructions before we were told to be in a room and wait for our turns. We were divided into 3 main categories, separating those first timers from those resiting the test. As a first-timer, i was in the 'green' group and were placed later in the morning to sit for the test. Nervously but patiently, we waited for our time and by 11 in the morning, our numbers ( we were given the numbers earlier ) were called, one by one, and soon, it was my time.

I was the 63rd candidate and because of that, i, along with others, were tested on the slope, parking and 3-point-turn first. I was told that when i'm satisfied with my task, i should raise my hand, shout out my number and let out a 'honk'. It was my turn and the slope was my first task. I did as taught and let out a 'honk' when i was satisfied- car on the yellow line. Immediately, the examiner faced me, seriously and angrily said "Sabarlah (Patient)... Apa honk honk. You yang honk kan!?" I hated to admit but i did and even apologized- they may just fail me if not. Do you think what i did was right, i mean the being sorry part? Thankfully, he passed me and i progressed on with the parking and 3-point-turn. In both, i was already traumatised to honk and instead, i waited patiently for them to look as i raised my hand and waited for them to nod before driving off. Cleared all 3, Lulus.

After those, it was 'on the road' test next and we had to gather in the room again, and waited calmly for my turn to come. My turn was about 12.45pm and i had a male examiner. As i entered the car, i did as what i had 'mentally rehearsed' earlier. As i was doing, the examiner rushed me and asked me to start immediately. Hesitantly, i started moving, not knowing yet which of the two roads i'll be tested on. Slowly driving out from my school, i glanced at my exam score sheet (when he wasn't looking) and it was written a big '2'. To that, i knew it was the second road and ignoring the fact that he should have told me or should have i asked, i continued on as usual. Only later at the junction out from my school he informed me that i'll be tested on Road 2. He looked annoyed when he said that. At that moment, i knew we were going to face a hard time in a small vehicle together.

I continued my driving and suddenly, there was a phone call. Clearly not mine but his! In the middle of an exam? He talked over the phone and their conversation was about when they'll finish- and the other side of the phone talked something about finishing at 1 pm. He ended the conversation and rushed me again. Don't know why, he looked as if he was in a hurry. I wasn't the last candidate on his list, there was another girl after me. So, clearly, he was in a rush once more. He mumbled something, but i couldn't be bothered. I continued on driving.

Later, he turned to me and asked me a few questions- like where i was from and who was my teacher. I answered, but remained silent after answering him. Time and time again, he asked me to accelerate. I tried but it still seemed to not pleased him. Fed-up, i continued driving on as i had practised and ignored to drive faster. Turning back to my school, i thought that he would fail me but it turned out otherwise. Radiant, i said 'thank you' and left the car, with both my hands gripping the score sheet. How lucky was i? I passed my driving test. And with that ending my long, tiring day on a bright side and in an excited mood, a 'P' license is produced for a young, new comer to the dangerous field of moving metals!

Lately, i have tried driving to and fro, to fetch my younger brother from school in Bukit Indah. In actual fact, to drive is quite a challenge. As much as i hate to admit, i often drive slow. May be it's in the blood of a new comer. Having said that, i admire the drivers behind me who are willing to tolerate and be patient with a tortoise-speed driver like me. Patience, a vital value we, road-users, should bear in mind. Cliche as it may sound, it's better safe than sorry.

Whatever it is, wc08, has his 'P' license and yes, he can proudly announce that he can drive and hope to meet you on the road. Or hop on and he shall shut up and drive!

No comments: