Sunday, September 4, 2011

Season 7, Episode 11: It's seven eleven!

" The meanings of words are not in words, but rather in the people who uses those words. "

It has been a while since i last blogged. I visited my blog regularly but decided to put the updating task on hold. Well, to say i was just focusing on my final exams would not entirely be true. It was a mix of celebrations and stress instead. Celebrations of many reasons, non-academic related though. And a reason why i decided now to steal some time away from my heavily filled books of words, would be my friend's comment, 'You didn't update'.

Going back home welcomed much good food, and even better with the Raya and Merdeka air surrounding the little escapade days. It was the remaining few days of bazaar Ramadan when i was back but it still did not stop me from devouring on my favourites: murtabak ayam 'chicken murtabak', roti bom, roti john, crispy and succulent ayam goreng and sweet brown kuih we call kuih cawan- because it uses the cup as mold. The highlight of my Raya would be the visit to my father's friend's open house. It never fails to satisfy, especially with her incomparably delicious cakes (the Red Velvet picks the best spot, Chocolate comes second already) and Malay dishes of lemang, nasi beriyani kambing and the unforgettable beef rendang! The lunch treat was lip-smacking!

The next day was Merdeka, Malaysia's Independence Day. Somehow, my mood for Merdeka celebration had diminished over the years, especially when stepping into university with no more school day celebrations of Independence. I missed the moments we waved our Jalur Gemilang in pride during our school assembly, singing proudly our national anthem along other patriotic songs (Keranamu Malaysia, Jalur Gemilang, Tanggal 31). And recalling back even to when i was younger the moment my family and i had to wait by the roadside in KL to watch the parade. If it still has, i urge you, Malaysian or not, to experience it because it is an atmosphere you can hardly forget.

This year's Merdeka held another birthday celebration- my grandpa. Dinner was good, with a little too much white wine consumed. Sad to say, it was my second experience. Alcohol, oh alcohol. In another way, it is a sign that i should practice more! And i will practice more, come my 21st birthday in another year time.

Back to the dinner, it was good, and it ended with another devouring round of cake. Perhaps, it was one too many that forced it out.



After dinner, we went back home to wait for the fireworks display by one of the nearby restaurants. The restaurant was organizing a company dinner with fireworks in its agenda. So, matching the date and day together, the firework display was one for the Merdeka celebration too! Happy Independence Day, Malaysia!

As i have mentioned before, in earlier seasons, going back home pose much distraction. Like always, the television. There were just too many good shows airing now: The Voice, The Gates, The Glee Project, Hell's Kitchen, DIVA movies, Wipeout, you name it, it's there, or somehow among what is there. Much to say, books were the only standing, open thing between me and the television. With great technology comes great distraction. I don't mean just the television but other devices too.

Because too much play time, and relaxing moments, it's time to drill as fast and as much as possible these last few days. Exams are already rearing their heads while i buckle up to load my guns and missiles. I like study, i like learning, but i never like exams.

My friend said how we wished we could burn the books and drink them down. Doraemon ingeniously invented another, a bread in which we can print our notes on them and swallow them down, straight so that it is in our mind.

If Doraemon comes to my world, it'll solve the pressures of exams for now.

wc11 returns to hitting the books, with mind swaying on and off to the moment of his own 'independence'.

No comments: