Friday, August 19, 2011

Season 7, Episode 10: Swimming above assignments

" So let the children remember the sun,
Let them dance, let them soar, for their lives have begun.
Let the children engender the rain,
As the river runs through fields,
Forever subsiding their pain, prayer. " - Celine Dion, Prayer (special tribute)

At the beginning of this semester, i remembered posting on my Facebook wall that i have positive feeling for this semester. A comment followed, welcoming me to the semester of mother-of-all assignments. Sitting down, typing this 10th episode, 13th week of the semester, i find the comment true. Deadlines are drives, but if all comes crashing onto the same time, or almost the same time, i have to remind myself of the date, day and yes, time. In case i missed out. In case i forgot. Either way, i needed to remind myself of the pending tasks. And trying to be optimistic during these times as a student is always a challenge. Perhaps, another drive is what lies ahead- the study week, dubbed the pre-4-month semester break. Of course, there's the final exam, but that's another story.

I am still swimming across the ocean of assignments. I'm blogging here because we all need time-out, right? Even with the heavy piles of work, remember, it is necessary to take care of yourself. And in my definition of taking care of myself is to have meals at meal times, movies at movie time, play at play times and study at study times. Plus, it's Friday night. Balance.

It has been past half the month of Ramadan. To be honest, i have grown a deeper understanding of Ramadan, thanks to my Cultural Anthropology assignment. In fact, one of the days, i had 'sahur' with my friends, as early as 1am, and fast until 7.30pm. One of the things i enjoy most of Ramadan is the moment of breaking fast together. You, your friends, your family around the table, food in front of you, and waiting patiently for the prayer. It reminds me of the Chinese reunion dinner. Then there is the bazaar. If you are to visit one, my suggestion is to set a budget, and if discipline cannot control you, i suggest you to leave only the amount you prepared to spend at the bazaar in your wallet and leave the remaining somewhere else. The urge to splurge is thrilling, looking at the colourful kuihs, variety of rice, chicken, murtabak, satay, roti john, and the list goes on and on. I'm looking forward to Hari Raya already!

Three down, three to go.

Planning ahead, the 4 months break is a long time. Any idea or recommendation of things to do? I have some in mind but i need to prioritize and make sure i use the time to the fullest. It will be my final official semester break in my uni life. After this, there will be no more long break. I'm planning to visit Siam Reap, Cambodia- a planning still at its earliest stage. Anyway, traveling is one of the listed things to do, probably somewhere on the top. So, you'll see me where i see you.

Enough of breathing time, wc11 continues to swim, in any style as long as it reaches the destination.

No comments: