Friday, October 8, 2010

Season 5, Episode 5: Take flight, Owl!

" On his way to finding a legend... he will become one. " - Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole tagline.

This post is divided into two parts: a movie review and on my uni.

I have been wanting to watch a movie in 3D. I thought Avatar would be a wise choice but because of the cost of the ticket and that my family joined me, i didn't want to burn a hole in their pocket. This time, it was my brother's birthday and he too had never been to a 3D movie. So i thought, this would be a good time to try.

I knew there was a movie on owls. So i YouTube-d it and watched the trailer. Instantly, this movie became the victim of my long-ago desire. I shared this with my brother and like me too, he was excited. He didn't know what the movie was about, at all.

Watching movie in 3D comes a whole new experience. Yes, sometimes my eyes get a little tired with the popping actions and dizzying spins, but if you put those behind, 3D offers something amazing! - such amazing thrill that i will pick 3D movies to watch from now on.


The movie began and i was already stunned by its beautiful graphic. There was one scene in particular where the main owl, Soren flies into the storm with the water droplets slowly and heavenly striking his face- I'm not sure 'his' would be the right pronoun. Then there were slow motion, claw fighting scenes. The timing was well made, not too slow but enough to make you go 'wow'. And since this is a movie with owls as the main characters, you'd expect lots of flying in the air! In short, the movie is beautifully crafted. Perhaps, the 3D emphasized the effects.

In terms of storyline, it was rather predictable. Sibling-rivalry, plots. In the beginning, i was a little confused of what were their names. They are all owls and it took me some time before i could distinguish the characters. I felt some characters lack characterization as well. Nevertheless, on the whole, it offers valuable lessons like friendship, faith, love, courage and unity to name a few. It was not all dark and gloomy, and i liked it when it was day time- shows optimism.


For the price i paid for the ticket, i had no second thought that it was well worth it and definitely a great first experience. This will drive me to fork out, and reach out, deeper into my pocket to watch 3D movies from now on.

Onto my uni. Weekend! It had been a rather tiring week with the rushing of completing assignments and quizzes. And apart from that, club and organization obligations. The weekend is my getaway. In fact, all weekends are my getaway!

Next week will be another hectic week. I will have lab reports to complete, assignments, and tentatively a test. Is this what a uni student should face?

I believe that i need to explore the world and learn from the experience. Because of that, i'll be leaving to Sitiawan with my friends and, you know what, stay tuned for that blog post!

wc10 takes flight!

No comments: