Sunday, December 23, 2012

Call me Wack: The Internship Experience

Seven months of internship just flew by, in a blink of an eye. So fast, that i can easily remember my first day at the office, even to the smallest details like my attire, choosing my desk, where i stood, and meeting the people that were brought into my life to guide me on a whole new experience. I used to believe, and still am a strong believer, that internship does not change a man; it makes us grow and mature in many ways and in various angles, to see things on a wider perspective and to serve as a prelude to what the future may hold. This post is going to be a very, very long post with as many pictures to include as i can because, above all, my internship experience cannot by summarized in one paragraph of five sentences. I apologize if this may dissatisfy you or bore you with narcissism; I meant no harm and my intentions are pure and noble with the sole purpose to share my wonderful journey with you, at the same time, thanking the people that made this journey memorable. To make this extra special, names will be used.

Every journey begins with a plan, even when you say you don't have a plan, that is your plan; this journey to SPT Group began in mid March when i first received an email stating that i was shortlisted for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted almost 50 minutes and a few days later, i was offered an internship placement in the company. Dilemma arose when i was offered another internship placement at another company, and having to choose one over another was not something easy to do. Eventually, i took the road newly traveled, found my way into SPT Group, landed in the flow assurance team and befriending a powerful simulator, OLGA. Reflecting on the decision i made, i wouldn't say it was the best choice (being best is an over-statement); it was the right choice- right because i came in knowing what my goals for the internship are and successfully achieving them in the end.

I came in wanting to have exposure to the industry, learn, meet new people, travel, and at the same time experience anything new- being general here. I can say that i have my fair share of them all, may be some portions larger than i expected. Before i traverse further on each element, let me first introduce myself, the title of this post, my username for the past twenty eight weeks, the surprisingly quirky: Wack. Never in my twenty one years of living did i realize this unique combination of my initials. By definition, a wack is a crazy or eccentric person; wacky is the adjective to describe funny or amusing in a slightly odd or peculiar way. Whether the person wears the name, or the name wears the person, i may just be using Wack for a long, long time- and always a reminder to this wonderful journey.


I have the luxury of spending my internship living in my home in KL with my family. They have been truly supportive throughout this journey and i can't thank them enough or tell how grateful i am. Sometimes, i found myself guilty for needing them to fetch me to and fro from the LRT stations at odd hours or to the office in the massive traffic, or cooking and keeping dinner or meals for me, amongst others. Their investments are definitely to be returned, in multiple folds, in the near future- my word is with you, loud to the world. On another note, as food and travel are our interests, this journey has brought us through various new places, and a revisit to one of my favourite attractions- caving at Gua Tempurung, Perak. We also explored Tanjung Sepat and its mushroom farm, fishball factory and passion fruit aplenty with the delicious 'pau's, Ijok's fried brinjals and found the famous beggar chicken restaurant, and Raub with its fantastic chicken 'kurma', tauhu-pok, super sweet jackfruits and peanuts! We ran the 'Terry Fox Run' together, celebrated birthdays and graduations. These are just snippets of my weekends with my family (and extended family) members.

Terry Fox Run KL 2012 with family.

 

Gua Tempurung trip.

Exploring Raub and its 'golden' nuts.

In the office, back to business, i have the privilege to work with the best supervisor, Dr Lim. He was helpful and kind, willing to share and dedicated in guiding me throughout this internship, equipping me with knowledge and expanding my scope of experience. His advices are also food for thoughts. There are so much more for me to learn and this was just another stepping stone. Leonardo, our Mexican colleague and lunch mate- who bought us unique and special Mexican cuisine lunch before our last week; Francis, Pei Wen's supervisor who also pushed us for the better; Murni; Francesco; Dr Bazlee; Ramon; Zalina- also for the Raya experience; Azwan; Jay Ee; Erni; Maryam; Wing; Misuari- i can still remember having a meeting with client on my first day at the office; Erwan; Nur; Firdaus; Azlin; Sophia; Asraf; Michael; Steve; Rahel; Hemant; Gunasekar, office desk 'neighbours' Brenda, Andreas, Alexandre and Iain, UTP supervisor, Mr Amin, and Pei Wen, my internship companion and compatriot. Thank you all for the experiences (and the farewell lunches).

With amazing supervisor, Dr Lim.

 
With Dr Pearce and Leonardo.

With Sophia from London office.

Farewell lunch with supervisors, Dr Lim and Francis, and Ramon.

Great lunch with Leonardo y familia at La Mexicana.
 
Pei Wen's supervisor, Francis.

 With Andreas from Norway office.

With Dr Bazlee and Zalina after presentation on the last day of internship.

With Azlin from Sales Department.

With bubbly Murni.

With Azwan from Perth office and Wing from Drilling Department.

Meet Asraf, the IT guy of the office.

With Michael from the Reservoir Department.

With Gunasekar from Dubai office.

With Rahel, the Well pro!

With the big boss in the office, Francesco.

With Brenda from the Drilling Department.

With Hemant from India.

 Meet HR officer, Nur.


There are good days and bad, stressful days in the office- but let's just look at the bright side. In my time, i got the chance to work on flow assurance projects. I had two pet projects with the opportunities to conduct presentations to the team in this region. They were really memorable as, while i enjoy giving presentations, nerves do sometimes get the better half of me. I further got to develop my presentation skills. Apart from that, i got to experience real project workflow, from start to the end- something i really wanted to experience in this internship. I got to learn things i didn't in UTP. The numerous trainings i went to were valuable, with new knowledge gained and good food. Simultaneously, i met new people in the training courses and appreciated their sharing on the industry- or life. Without this internship in this company, i would never have imagined myself dining in a sumptuous Norwegian seafood buffet in Mandarin Oriental Hotel, serenaded by Adibah Noor, 'buka puasa' dinner buffet at Impiana Hotel and local lunch buffet twice at Double Tree Hotel. Plus, the numerous times to House restaurant at Ground-Lower Ground Floors during days with training. I've also frequented the Ampang Park food court, Chinese shop in Ampang Park, Chinese Temple for vegetarian food, the nearby 'ikan bakar', Intermark food court, and occasionally to Imbi for lunches. One reminder: always have an umbrella, always be prepared.
 
Never had so much seafood all in one night, at Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

Some of the food at the lunch in Double Tree Hotel, KL. 

 
Mexican food.

Being in the office most of the time for work, i found it a need to move about, sweat. And to sweat, i signed up for the gym membership at Elements Gym in G Tower. Convenient as it just few floors below my office, i have surely gained new strengths, literally, and skills through the classes i attended. My evenings at the gym were booked, each day different than the other. Mondays, Pilates. Tuesdays, Dance class. Wednesdays, Spinning and Latin dance class. Thursdays, swimming. Fridays, Capoeira. Body rested during weekends before the weekly routine of classes resumed. From these classes, i met great people- my instructors to the other 'classmates'. My first, trial class was the Capoeira, the Brazilian martial arts which i was very much inclined to learn. There, i met instructors Terry and Kennedy, seniors Wang, Natasha, Zhuo Yen, Zita, Akira, Sachi, and few other students i cannot remember their names now. I learned the moves, and combinations of moves; the reasons and physics behind some of the deadly moves and some of the reasons to my mistakes. It was interesting. On another note, i got to do a headstand against the wall and am still practising for a handstand. Also, lately, for the dinner together after class at Pelita and Subway.

Some of the Capoeira mates, met since the firs day of training.

In Pilates on mat, i have not had my body and limbs stretched this much. I disliked the 'hundred', guided by Frederick (hopefully it's rightly spelled). Having said that, Pilates does have a relaxing effect after the exercise and i was fond at the exercise routine. In Dance class, led by energetic Chris, i got the chance to release my artsy, dance side, one i have let sleep for a long time and never really have the courage to awake it. I have definitely learned to let loose and just move to the beat of the music- rhythm moves me, as it always has been. Same goes to the Latin dance class, where i learned mostly the 'cha-cha', 'bachata' and 'merengue'. One hour in dance classes felt so short. There, i met Rizal, Armia, and, blame it on my poor memory, some others i cannot remember their names now. Hopefully, these will ease me on the dance floor in the future and, not sounding desperate, pick a girl. One of the most tiring classes had to be the Spinning class- 45 minutes of pain, sweat and tears- exaggerating here, no tears. Pushed by Falcon, each 'ride' was filled with uphills and sprints. What i liked most was that, like the dance class, rhythm moves me, and the music that accompanied us through the 'ride' created a Rocky-feel. Also, working out in a team has its perks. To these classes, i've learned that loyalty and discipline made me go back, class after class, week after week. Needless to say, i tried Yoga- and in the first class, i was trying to refrain myself from laughing.

Dance 'Again' with Chris.

Pilates instructor, Frederick.

Falcon, the Spinning instructor.

Bringing out the Latin side at Latin dance class.


Being in KL also meant more time for meet-ups and gatherings with school friends. Though hard to schedule a gathering, we did manage to meet on several occasions- trying out the much-talkabout Burger Kaw-Kaw, movie dates and dinner at Subang. Oh, i just enjoy catching up- even if it's a week apart that we met. With some UTP friends interning in KL as well, likewise difficult to schedule gatherings, we did meet on several occasions- first day of internship dinner, MATTA fair outing, birthday dinner, impromptu lunches at Ampang Park, Wisma Cetral and the Chinese Temple, end of internship dinner, movie dates and visit to the Petronas Twin Towers' Skybridge and Level 86!

Since we didn't really take much photos, i use this to represent.

On the Sky Bridge at Petronas Twin Towers, KL.

 Celebrating birthday.
Likewise, i use these two photos to represent the several other gatherings.

Aside from these, i got the rare opportunity to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton in KL, amongst the sea of people. My internship experience also included Euro Football Championship and the great Olympics- means late nights on and off. Thanks to my friend's treat, i got to watch Jennifer Lopez (and her booty shake) live in Malaysia, despite the drizzle.

So close...

Queued for the free Baskin Robbins to commemorate the Olympics and Malaysia's silver medal. 

Here i am now, after i have submitted the report and all related documents to UTP, officially, my internship journey has ended. I have done my best and, truly, this remarkable journey is one i will cherish for eternity. Exposure to the industry, check. Meet new people, check. Travel, check. What else more can i say about my internship experience than to say how grateful i am to have this awesomeness! If i have unintentionally left your name out in this long list of names to thank, please know that by knowing and reading this, you-know-who-you-are, i am thanking you too.

A month's away from the final year of study, wc12 is away to finalize his trip to Cambodia, at the same time, making sure he's fit and fiddle through this festive season: here's to wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: