Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Season 7, Episode 3: Sudden dinner trip in Ipoh

" Perfect does not mean you are beautiful; but once you are beautiful, you become perfect. "

I wonder if the title caught your attention. If you know me well enough, or long enough, you will know that i'm the type of person that tends to have everything planned out, setting my strategies and clearing the path for something. So, the word 'sudden' or impromptu will not best describe me. But i'm working on it.

The good thing about being sudden or impromptu is that i don't need to think much in advance. All i needed was a few moments before the event to make a choice. Sometimes, i can choose even without much thought put into it, believing in myself and trusting my instincts. Needless to say, this sudden encounter wasn't my very first, and i believe not my very last, as i recalled a tale of mine i will still proudly talk about today- the day i lost my 'club virginity'. That was really, really impromptu.

So i first heard of, or practice, the word impromptu when i was in drama during my secondary school. I remembered i was on stage for a scene where i played a solo. A solo where my script was rather long. It had to be nervousness or butterflies that i somehow lost some of the words in the process, and i had to make up for the lost lines in seconds. I definitely didn't want to stand clueless on stage and threaten my school's winning chance, so i had to speak impromptu lines. I had to make impromptu movements. And from that very lesson on stage, i realized that i can handle such situation and like all masters, training is definitely necessary.

Last Sunday was the latest encounter of suddenness. Though i have to admit, it was not wholly impromptu. We discussed whether to make a trip to Ipoh earlier the weekend but it was all talk- as they say, only thunder, no rain. So until Sunday afternoon, we couldn't find a car to rent to head to the town and somehow lost hope, deciding to stay in uni after three days of the weekend- another wouldn't cost. Not long after that, a text came in and we had a car to rent.

With some names and types of food to hunt in Ipoh came to mind, we hopped into the car and sped to start our dinner outing. Nothing but eating and chatting for the next six hours!

The first stop was the Hor Hee 'Fish Ball' noodles, a popular spot my family and i went before. Next was the Nga Choi Kai 'Chicken with Bean Sprout', another must try delicacy in town. Done with the appetizer and main dish, we had dessert in Tong Shui Kai 'Dessert Street' and supper of the famous Chee Cheong Fun. The mushroom gravy of it is surely a die-for! As the night was still young, we drifted to Greentown for Old Town Kopitiam and stayed until the shop workers had to ask us out. Back to my room in uni with a packet of Heong Pang, a flavourful, local cookie that sticks to the mouth, the trip was an interesting one.

Iced mixed fruit dessert to cool the night in Tong Shui Kai.

I will be creating a food blog of mine soon. But in the meantime, i'll settle for what was done in this.

And since i missed the much anticipated mango-lo, a cold, iced mango dessert in Tong Shui Kai, i'm sure i will be back there for more soon, and stretch this food trip to more than just one night!

This is certainly another impromptu encounter, a sudden dinner outing that i'm happy to brag about. You may not know this; it isn't just the food that won the night over!

wc11 eats to his stomachs pleasure...

No comments: