Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Map of the Invisible World & 127 Hours

" Everything is, just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all this. This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entirely life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space, it's been waiting to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute i was born, every breath that i've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface. " - Aron R, 127 Hours.

I want to like the book, but I can’t. Where do I start? Alright, first and foremost, reading the back of Map of the Invisible World, I thought the main stars of this book are Adam and Johan. After all, it’s a story about two brothers separated at an early age of childhood, struggling to face their fears to walk down their memory lanes in an attempt to find one another. Though they still remain the main- or should I say idea, characters, I felt Margaret stole their spotlight. I thought I could feel their fears, feel their separation, feel their anger, or feel their sympathy. I was taken by surprise. I thought I could have a connection to Adam, if not Johan, but I felt neither to the both of them. Instead, I was taken into memories of Margaret more than Adam, and Johan’s story was pretty much said in a passing. But on the bright side, Margaret pushes the story forward. Without her, there will be no Karl, no Bill, no Din, and no Z. And no story.


The book begins with Karl, Adam’s foster father, mistakenly captured by the army. Adam then goes to find for Margaret in hope that she can help regain his father. Margaret who teaches in an institution, with her own perspective to life and country, is forced to look back into her history- her history with Karl. She tries her best, contacting her friends and pulling some strings to get Karl back. Din was Margaret’s friend. However, as the story unfolds, he has hidden agendas and drags oblivious Adam with him. In desperation and despair, lost and insecurity, Adam agrees to Din because he convinces him that he can help get his father back. To Adam, reuniting with his father is the only thing he wants and needs.


On the other side of the land, Malaysia, we see the struggle Johan faces as an adopted child in a wealthy family. He has a younger sister and brother, and though he may be rebellious at times, he loves them. He knows he has another younger brother but that memory of him seems vague, likewise for Adam. He then shares his story of how he became part of this family and not with Adam.


In the orphanage, Adam and Johan dreamed of the sea. Though they stayed near the coast where sounds of waves breaking could be heard, they had never seen the sea, only allowing imagination of their minds to the colour, beauty and the sand and water. They went the extra mile to fulfill their dream, on the night before they were separated. I felt this part of the story extraordinarily meaningful.


The book provides a glimpse into the life in Indonesia many years back through Adam and Malaysia was the setting around Johan’s life. Tash Aw writes quite fascinatingly, with effective uses of words, and has amiable skills in describing a scene. Alas, too detailed description can sometimes be dull and lengthy on my personal thought.


The one part I see action in this book was when Adam was convinced by Din, with evil intentions, to execute his plan. Other than that, this is pure literature, pure drama. The climax was rather predictable with characters lacking intensity in portraying it and the book doesn’t really mention the end to Adam and Johan’s attempt at reunion. Margaret, once again, closed the book.


Probably I was expecting more from Map of the Invisible World knowing that Tash Aw won for ‘The Harmony Silk Factory’. This book has its moments but it is not my favourite. It has something missing. I wouldn’t put this in par with ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ or ‘The Kite Runner’ but to give it some credits, Tash Aw has great writing skills. I just felt it lacked on character.


Moving on to 127 Hours, a movie made for awards by Danny B, i am, again, not extremely thrilled after watching the movie. Perhaps my expectations were raised so high that what i had in mind of the movie is not entirely what i watched. With that being said and speaking from another angle, James Franco is a force to be with. 127 Hours felt much like a one-man show, and James F did it so effortlessly- no pun intended. No wonder he has been nominated at the award season going on now. He plays a mountain climber-cum-canyoneer and after guiding two girls to their location, he goes off to his destination. Unfortunately, while going down the canyon, he gets trapped with a rock pressing down on his hand- and throughout the approximately next hour, he struggles to escape the trap using only his other hand!


Like 'The Hurt Locker' and 'Paranormal Activity', this movie requires patience as its drama unfolds slowly on his shoulder. He tries all-sorts to escape, and when in despair, he tries to get himself together and not go crazy. For 127 hours, day and night, with dreams and hallucination, he forces his way out in anyway he imagined possible.


'Slumdog Millionaire' was amazing and if i hadn't raised my expectations on 127 Hours, i would enjoy it much more.


wc11 read a book over the sem break and is currently watching award movies. Season 6 is about to begin here!

Can't wait to hop in the Year of the Rabbit, at Jusco!

No comments: